Tag Archives: DirtyPCBs

The yellow-panel microgameboy in action

I’ve had some great fun with the microgameboy from the Yellow Panel.

See here:

Adding levels with a custom level editor:

And.. because you sortof have to… I made a small midi-file converter and attached a piezo beeper to a leftover GPIO pin…

Initially I had some trouble getting the screen to power up on 3.3v… Turns out my init-code was sending too early. After I added 200msec delay to wait for power stabilization, the init code ran as expected and turned on the internal chargepump. Hurrah! 0.49″ OLED screens are cute!

The yellow panel – prototyping utilities.

The recent DirtyPCBs.com paneling experiment resulted in a nice new addition to our prototyping toolbox:

the yellow panel.

And the yellow panel..  Dirty dirty DIRTY soldermask (check topleft)And the other side.

The yellow panel contains:

  • Wolfsom SMT microphone breakout with small amplifier
  • QFN24-to-dip adapter
  • Freescale K20 TFT backpack (enhanced Teensy3.1 without the bootloaderchip)
  • Freescale KL02Z DIP breakout with microphone
  • USB-testpoint board in USBstick form
  • 0.49″ I2C OLED breakout board
  • 3.3v MIDI IO board
  • KL02Z micro-gameboy with 0.49″ OLED, microphone, switches and battery.
  • A this-is-not-rocketscience.nl keychain

The general theme for this board is “controlling stuff with audio while having sufficient visual feedback” I will be soldering a few of these over the next few weeks to test out various ways to get light/motion things synced up to music.

The microgameboy (screens have not arrived yet – they will get their own post once the hardware is complete):

IMG_1566 IMG_1565

Code upload works! Blinky fizzbuzz LEDs!

IMG_1567

USB testpoint thing soldered in 2 configurations:

IMG_1564 IMG_1563

If you’d like to try these as well – get some at DirtyPCBs.com and ask us for schematics/bom/help on twitter!

Creating breakable PCB panels for DirtyPCBs.com

DirtyPCB seems to be the first small-prototyping-service that allows you to build panels with breaktabs. I had to try this! Soon after this thought I stumbled upon the great question of “how” – here I had all these folders full of gerberfiles for boards.. but the tools to panelize them were all very primitive, expensive, unhandy, unartistic etc… time to fix this!

Down here you can see the progress I’ve made from initial concept to usable tool.

The tool shall be released in (bin + source) full after I’ve gotten the second round of panels back from DirtyPCBs (I am not going to give away a tool that will create unproducable gerbers – I need to doublecheck everything)